FAQ's About Calgary Dry Ice
What is "dry" ice?
Dry ice is the solid form of C02 - basically, we have a machine that forces it into a solid form by using pressure. Because of this, it's perishable - it's really starting to disappear and degrade as soon as we make it! That cool fog you see from dry ice is really that solid state transforming back into a gas. It doesn't "melt" and turn into a liquid like regular ice.
How do I store it and how long will it last?
A couple of things you can do to slow down this "disappearing" process:
1. Pick it up from us the day you'll be using it. This is why it's "made to order". We want to make sure you leave with a full, fresh bag of dry ice!
2. Bring a camping cooler when you pick it up and keep it in a cool area. Even this will only keep it around for a couple days at the most. You'll likely lose @ 50% in 24 hours. Sorry, you'll have to order extra if you need it on the weekend. Do not store it in the freezer - it might trick your thermostat and turn it off! Best place to store it is that camping cooler.
Why do I have to make an appointment to buy dry ice from you??
A couple of reasons. 1. It's made to order - it's perishable and we want to make it just before you show up for it; we don't have it just lying around. 2. Unfortunately, we are not always at our shop - we need to make sure someone is around when you show up!
What happens if I'm late for my appointment to pick it up?
Please give us a call to let us know. Otherwise your dry ice will be made and waiting for you, slowly disappearing!
Why do I have to pay for it in advance? Can't I just pay when I arrive?
This is again because your dry ice is made to order. We need to ensure you have incentive to pick up the dry ice that we've made for you. Sorry, no refunds for no-shows. Our online scheduling system here will allow you to specify a time. Same day orders require you to call us. 403-697-3127
What are your business hours?
Generally, Monday through Friday 9am - 4pm - but by appointment only. Sorry, we're just now growing into the retail dry ice business, and we can't guarantee someone will always be there.
Do you offer delivery?
Yes we do, subject to our availability. Please call us for rates and scheduling.
Do you sell wholesale quantities?
Yes! This is 98% of our business. We sell it by the 500 lb container and offer dedicated delivery. Please call us for details and pricing.
What's dry ice used for?
Dry Ice is widely used because it is simple to freeze and easy to handle—it’s perfect for temperature sensitive shipping solutions. Our dry ice is purchased by special effects companies, laboratories, photographers, catering companies, freight companies, even campers and fishermen! It has cannabis applications as well.
Are there any safety concerns?
- Dry ice has a surface temperature of -78 degrees Celsius.
- Not wearing gloves when handling the product could result in frostbite.
- Always keep dry ice away from children.
- Do not swallow, or put dry ice in your mouth.
- Do not put dry ice in anyone’s clothing for fun. Potentially severe frostbite may occur as a result of prolonged contact with the skin.
- Do not place dry ice inside an air tight container. Sublimed vapors will increase the interior pressure and will rupture the container.
- Place a thick layer of cardboard, Styrofoam or similar separator between food and liquid products which need to be chilled. Food and liquid products in containers will freeze when their container is placed in contact with dry ice over a short period of time.
- Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide that expands to a gas. You can lose consciousness by directly breathing in the dry ice vapors for an extended period of time. You will sense carbon dioxide by a “tingling” sensation in the mouth.